Wordigg

acini Definitions

noun

acinus

Discover More the word acini

Scrabble the word acini

acini thesaurus

Examples include acini

  • the pancreas is one of those dual citizenship organs, acting as both an endocrine organ, and as an accessory organ of the digestive system (see the digestive system). the digestive enzymes produced by the exocrine pancreas (99 percent of the organ) are, by definition, picked up by ducts near the pancreatic acini, which ultimately empty into the small intestine. the remaining 1 percent is taken up by clusters of cells called pancreatic islets, which form the endocrine pancreas. factmonster.com

  • the pancreas is one of those dual citizenship organs, acting as both an endocrine organ, and as an accessory organ of the digestive system (see the digestive system). the digestive enzymes produced by the exocrine pancreas (99 percent of the organ) are, by definition, picked up by ducts near the pancreatic acini, which ultimately empty into the small intestine. the remaining 1 percent is taken up by clusters of cells called pancreatic islets, which form the endocrine pancreas. infoplease.com

  • the digestive enzymes (such as amylase, lipase, and trypsin) are released from the cells of the acini and flow into the pancreatic duct. the pancreatic duct joins the common bile duct at the sphincter of oddi, where both flow into the duodenum. the enzymes are normally secreted in an inactive form. they are activated only when they reach the digestive tract. amylase digests carbohydrates, lipase digests fats, and trypsin digests proteins. the pancreas also secretes large amounts of sodium bicarbonate, which protects the duodenum by neutralizing the acid that comes from the stomach. merckmanuals.com